Thursday 9 November 2006

The Australian Desert, who would have thunk it...?

We took advantage of the Melbourne Cup public holiday and had a long weekend in which we went on a Jeep trip to Big Desert. Our base camp was in a small town called Pinnaroo, which is just over the South Australian boarder, and about 6 or 7 hours drive from Melbourne.

I don't know about other people but when I thought Australian Desert, I was thinking long stretches of nothing but sand, but that's not what it was, there was sand alright but lots of shrubs as well... very strange...! Bit of a suprise, but other people seemed to expect it so I wonder if all Austalian deserts are like this...?

Anyway, all in all it was a great weekend, fairly tiring but fun, I'm going to get hold of some of the pics and post them up soon because there were a few fun challenges that we put the Jeep through!

1 comment:

Coop said...

The last Australian dessert I saw was light, white and rather sweet. I think it was named after some ballerina.... Pavlova or something Italian sounding.

Sounds like a good trip. Though I think you're just taking this as an opportunity to stick it to the rest of us that don't live in Vic, and hence don't get the public holiday. =P